Following last year’s runway show, Prof. Jimmy Choo’s Mayfair based JCA | London Fashion Academy announces plans to host a presentation of its MA designers cohort, on Thursday 12th October.
Stephen Smith, Founder and CEO of the JCA comments: “We are so excited to participate in this years’ London Frieze Week and where better than to host in our beautiful Mayfair campus at 20 Hanover Square. Our learners were previewed during an amazing charity ICON show during London Fashion Week and we now get to see their launch collections. The JCA show is truly the interconnection between arts and business given we have been able to incubate our graduating cohort, from idea to final presentation.”
Taking place across three storeys of the JCA’s Grade I Period Building, doors will open at 3 pm with a resident pianist welcoming the guests.
On the first floor, the seven Ma designers will each have their own dedicated room to display their collections, with each space thoughtfully designed to immerse attendees in the designer’s unique vision. The JCA MA Graduates in Fashion Entrepreneurship in Design and Brand Innovation include:
- Polly McEvitt, founder of the eponymous brand, focuses on avant-garde designs, with whimsical embellishments and intricate details, and each garment helps the wearer express their individuality and self-expression.
- Olivia Black, the founder of the eponymous brand, is a sustainable label centered on genderless designs and the use of upcycled materials and deadstock to create unique collections.
- Mariam Saeed, founder of “Location-em”, aims to step in to fill the gap in modest fashion, by offering occasionwear dresses. The brand, born from Mariam’s challenge when seeking appropriate attire, provides a modern style without compromising personal values and beliefs.
- Saleha Hussain, founder of “Yasmin”, a luxury streetwear brand that redefines modest fashion by fusing contemporary and modesty and prioritizes ethical manufacturing and sustainable practices. The label combines modest silhouettes and vibrant colours, to be styled for different occasions.
- Rocio Sánchez, is a brand designed with women in mind, with the aim to inspire them to embrace their uniqueness. The collection emphasizes the importance of sustainability and inclusivity.
- Meryem Bertal, founder of “Unbound”, a trailblazing brand at the intersection of dance and style. The collection featured cutting-edge materials and techniques, for exceptional comfort and durability, aimed at revolutionising the world of dancewear across various genres.
- Aaiyma Masoud, founder of AAIYMA Creative Studio, is dedicated to artistic innovation and technical expertise. Inspired by geometrical shapes and three-dimensionality, the brand aims to push the boundaries and inspire individuals to embrace their uniqueness and express themselves through extraordinary sartorial choices.
Mark Eley, comments: “We still have amazing memories from last year’s show and we have been looking forward to this moment again this year for our new cohort, who have been dedicated to creating and making thoughtful collections, which have conveyed a very clear identity since the very beginning”.
- JCA MA Presentation takes place on Thursday, 12th October 2023
- Strictly Invitation Only
JCA | London Fashion Academy is a pioneering fashion school and professional incubator founded by Prof. Jimmy Choo OBE and Mr Stephen Smith. It opened its doors in Mayfair in September 2021 to play a pivotal role in re-galvanising London’s fashion community post-pandemic and has been established as Mayfair’s international hub for all those interested in design and luxury brands. Taking inspiration from and disrupting the boundaries from the likes of the V&A, Royal College of Art, Parsons New York and Somerset House, the facility will be more than just an educational academy, providing contemporary co-working spaces for fashion start-ups, gallery and exhibition space and a calendar of networking and fashion-focused events.. Since its opening in September 2021, the school has helped many students launch their projects, like Melissa-Kate, a Master’s student invited to show at the Northern Fashion Week, and Scottish mature student Paul McCann, who has launched his label whilst in the first-year of his degree.
Students and emerging designers can discover more information about the JCA via its website at, www.JCA.ac.uk and via its Instagram handle, @JCALONDON
ABOUT PROFESSOR JIMMY CHOO
Malaysian born Jimmy Choo grew up in a family of shoe designers. From an early age Choo took an interest in creating beautiful shoes, making his first pair at the age of 11 under his father’s guidance. After graduating from the London Technical College in 1983, Choo opened his first shop three years later and subsequently became one of the most successful shoe designers in the world. His unique style and beautiful designs become increasingly popular with high end clients including Diana, Princess of Wales. Jimmy Choo sold his share of the company in 2001 and in 2002, Jimmy Choo was honoured with an ‘Order of British Empire’ to recognise his service to the fashion industry
ABOUT STEPHEN SMITH, FAUA, MBA (Dist.), PGCE FAHE, BA (Hons,) CEO & FOUNDER
Stephen Smith, has more than 20 years in leadership roles across the public and private higher education sector. During his career, he has undertaken roles such as Head of School, Dean of Faculty, Vice Principal, Provost, Registrar, Managing Director and now CEO. He has worked in large Metropolitan University’s, specialist College’s of Art and Design and international educational institutes of Design. Stephen has worked closely with international, UK and local government to develop and deliver strategies aiming to build a sustainable creative industry. Threading together Stephen’s career is the focus on education and its bridge to enterprise.